Which Publication Will Have the Most Impact on Neonatal Care?
Help Select the 2020 EBNEO Impact Article of the Year!
Each year, there are thousands of new contributions to the neonatal literature. Few change practice. Which 2020 publication will have the most impact on neonatal care? To promote consideration of the space between evidence and practice, this is the question we pose to you. Review the nominated articles in the links below and make your selections by voting on our website on each date.
Review the Nominees
In alphabetical order:
1. Cummings JJ, Gerday E, Minton S, et al. Aerosolized calfactant for newborns with respiratory distress syndrome: a randomized trial. Pediatrics. 2020;146(5):e20193967
2. Franz AR, Engel C, Bassler D, et al. Effects of liberal vs restrictive transfusion thresholds on survival and neurocognitive outcomes in extremely low-birth-weight infants: the ETTNO randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2020; 324(6): 560-570.
3. Juul SE, Comstock BA, Wadhawan R, et al. A randomized trial of erythropoietin for neuroprotection in preterm infants. N Eng J Med. 2020; 382: 233-243.
4. Pejovic NJ, Myrnerts Hook S, Byamugisha J, et al. A randomized trial of laryngeal mask airway in neonatal resuscitation. N Eng J Med. 2020; 383: 2138-2147.
5. Sharpe S, Reiner GE, Davis SL, et al. Levetiracetem versus phenobarbital for neonatal seizures: a randomized controlled trial. Pediatrics. 2020;145(6):e20193182.
6. van Kempen AAMW, Eskes PF, Nuytemans DHGM, et al. Lower versus traditional treatment threshold for neonatal hypoglycemia. N Eng J Med. 2020; 382: 534-544.
7. Vento G, Ventura ML, Pastorino R., et al. Lung recruitment before surfactant administration in extremely preterm neonates with respiratory distress syndrome (IN-REC-SUR-E): a randomised, unblinded, controlled trial. Lancet Resp Med. 2021;9(2):159-166.
8. WHO ACTION Trials Collaborators. Antenatal dexamethasone for early preterm birth in low-resource countries. N Eng J Med. 2020; 383: 2514-2525.
The 2019 EBNEO Impact Article of the Year
1. Basu S, Khanna P, Srivastava R, Kumar A. Oral vitamin A supplementation in very low birth weight neonates: a randomized controlled trial. Eur J Pediatr. 2019;178(8):1255-1265.
2. Brumbaugh JE, Hansen NI, Bell EF, et al. Outcomes of Extremely Preterm Infants With Birth Weight Less Than 400 g. JAMA Pediatr. 2019;173(5):434.
3. Chappell LC, Brocklehurst P, Green ME, et al. Planned early delivery or expectant management for late preterm pre-eclampsia (PHOENIX): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2019;394(10204):1181-1190.
4. Clyman RI, Liebowitz M, Kaempf J, et al. PDA-TOLERATE Trial: An Exploratory Randomized Controlled Trial of Treatment of Moderate-to-Large Patent Ductus Arteriosus at 1 Week of Age. J Pediatr. 2019;205:41-48.e6.
5. Dorling J, Abbott J, Berrington J, et al. Controlled Trial of Two Incremental Milk-Feeding Rates in Preterm Infants. N Engl J Med. 2019;381(15):1434-1443.
6. ELFIN trial investigators group. Enteral lactoferrin supplementation for very preterm infants: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 2019;393(10170):423-433.
7. Goel N, Shrestha S, Smith R, et al. Screening for early onset neonatal sepsis: NICE guidance-based practice versus projected application of the Kaiser Permanente sepsis risk calculator in the UK population. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2020;105(2):118-122.
8. Jensen EA, Dysart K, Gantz MG, et al. The Diagnosis of Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia in Very Preterm Infants: An Evidence-Based Approach. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2019; 200(6).
9. Katheria A, Reister F, Essers J, et al. Association of Umbilical Cord Milking vs Delayed Umbilical Cord Clamping With Death or Severe Intraventricular Hemorrhage Among Preterm Infants. JAMA. 2019;322(19):1877.
10. Kirpalani H, Ratcliffe SJ, Keszler M, et al. Effect of Sustained Inflations vs Intermittent Positive Pressure Ventilation on Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia or Death Among Extremely Preterm Infants. JAMA. 2019;321(12):1165.
11. Manley BJ, Arnolda GRB, Wright IMR, et al. Nasal High-Flow Therapy for Newborn Infants in Special Care Nurseries. N Engl J Med. 2019;380(21):2031-2040.
12. Onland W, Cools F, Kroon A, et al. Effect of Hydrocortisone Therapy Initiated 7 to 14 Days After Birth on Mortality or Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia Among Very Preterm Infants Receiving Mechanical Ventilation. JAMA. 2019;321(4):354.
13. Sekhon MK, Grubb PH, Newman M, Yoder BA. Implementation of a probiotic protocol to reduce rates of necrotizing enterocolitis. J Perinatol. 2019;39(9):1315-1322.
14. Shalish W, Kanbar L, Kovacs L, et al. Assessment of Extubation Readiness Using Spontaneous Breathing Trials in Extremely Preterm Neonates. JAMA Pediatr. 2020;174(2):178.
15. Stahl A, Lepore D, Fielder A, et al. Ranibizumab versus laser therapy for the treatment of very low birthweight infants with retinopathy of prematurity (RAINBOW): an open-label randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2019;394(10208):1551-1559.
16. Sweet DG, Carnielli V, Greisen G, et al. European Consensus Guidelines on the Management of Respiratory Distress Syndrome – 2019 Update. Neonatology. 2019:432-450.